Michael Johnson wrote:
I just encountered a strange problem with a user account that vpopmail seems to think doesn't exist (sometimes).

I was previously on vpopmail 5.2 and just upgraded to 5.4 recently. I'm not sure if that might be part of the problem.

One of my clients had sent up a mailbox and then added a separate forward to an outside account with the same name. This was working, but recently they dropped that account and wanted to get their mail directly.

I went into the system and removed the forward and checked that the mailbox was still existent (it was), however, that user cannot log into the account.

When they try to log in over pop3, the following message shows in logs:

vchkpw-pop3: vpopmail user not found [EMAIL PROTECTED]

If I look at the domain via vqadmin or qmailadmin, the account shows properly. If I use vuserinfo -D theirdomain, the account shows up in the listing. However, if I just look up their account (via vuserinfo [EMAIL PROTECTED]), I am told there is no such user.

I have tried removing the mailbox, and re-creating it, but the problem persists. Permissions look good, as does ownership.

Any ideas on this behavior?

Hi,

Check the vpasswd file. Most likely you are missing a : at the end of that user because the old 5.2 didn't have one of the fields that 5.4 does,

Add the : at the end f the users line and run vpasswd

Regards,

Rick