Nope. I reinstalled, but still nothing.

Further research turned up some threads that indicate that this is maybe just
not supported with courier anymore? Can anybody confirm this?

http://www.mail-archive.com/vchkpw@inter7.com/msg20495.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/vchkpw@inter7.com/msg21945.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/vchkpw@inter7.com/msg23726.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/vchkpw@inter7.com/msg20745.html

That is probably the final nail in this thread for me. I've been weighing the
hassle between to enable roaming-users versus instructing all our users to
reconfigure their MUAs to use SMTP-AUTH. Ok ok ok...

Quinn