On Nov 30, 2006, at 4:27 PM, Rick Macdougall wrote:
Off Topic: Tom: Did that qmail patch for simscan work for you when your server gets overloaded (regarding duplicate messages when simscan takes to long to get back to the remote server and the remote server times out ?)

I thought it did, but I just got a message that seems to indicate that it didn't. Someone emailing me got this error:

Message delivery to the host '123.45.67.89' failed while delivering to the remote domain 'domain.com' for the following reason: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

I checked my logs, and the virus scan took 12 seconds. Most of that (11s) was scanning the msg file, so I assume it took another 11s to ripmime it before calling clamav. I guess 23 seconds is a long time to wait for a response after ending the DATA part of an SMTP conversation.

It could just be a bad timing thing where the other end drops the connection and simscan replies that it was received OK before it knows the connection closed.

It might need some further testing by the simscan developers to find additional failure points.

--
Tom Collins  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Vpopmail - virtual domains for qmail: http://vpopmail.sf.net/