On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 11:22 -0500, Darrel O'Pry wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 19:14 -0600, Max Esquivel wrote:
> > I have also posted this to vchkpw list:
> > 
> > I have a server with qmail running some 600 email accounts over some  
> > 30 domains.  I recently installed simscan, Spamassassin and ClamAv.   
> > It all works really well, but during peak hours (say 300 to 500k per  
> > sec inbound traffic) Thee server starts to bog down and progressively  
> > gets slower and slower until 120 connections are maxed out and the  
> > server starts rejecting smtp connections first and then pop  
> > connections.  This is a new AMD 64 bit with 1Gig Ram running on  
> > Debian and running also Apache with php, mysql, and Horde webmail  
> > (with very very few hits per day).  If I turn off simscan, situation  
> > returns to normal after a while.  I have tried finding some  
> > documentation about how many users and traffic qmail with simscan, SA  
> > and Clam may handle, but it seems there is nothing out there other  
> > than very general stuff like "many users", "thousands of users"....
> > 
> > Perhaps the problem is in my setup and some configuration for  
> > simscan, SA or clam that I have set/not set incorrectly, ot I have  
> > not realized this number of users and trafffic is just too much for  
> > one server. Any suggestions or links to appropriate docs will be most  
> > appreciated.
> > 
> > Thanks!
> > 
> > Max Esquivel
> I was having a similar issue. For my environment it was being caused by
> large attachments. I ended up only using simscan to call clamav and set
> some basic attachment blocking policy.

I was also having that issue, about 2000 regular users.  I have multiple
servers, but the 'last' thing I did might help you the most.  I used to
share SpamAssassin with my secondary MX, and data store, but I now have
a Core2Duo server dedicated to SpamAssassin.   It was just eating up way
too many resources - even on that low usage box.  

My primary MX averages about 300k per sec, 1000 msgs/hour and is only a
Duron 1400.  Looks like it peaked at 2800 msgs yesterday at 3pm CST on
the dot ;)  No more slow scanning issues.

There are also some SA optimizations to speed up scans.


dns_available yes
rbl_timeout 10
razor_timeout 5
pyzor_timeout 5
check_mx_attempts 1

in your SpamAssassin local.cf and run dnscache locally.

And make sure the SpamAssassin logs don't have 'Unable to read
bayes_seen' errors - that's a killer too.


Reply via email to