> On 2007-09-24, at 1120, Joshua Megerman wrote:
>>
>> First off, let me prefice this by saying that while I understand the
>> concept of shared libraries, I don't understand the underlying
>> mechanics
>> of how the OS handles them,
>
> i'm not sure exactly how far "underlying" you don't understand, but
> here's a fairly simple overview of the seedy underside of program
> linking and the difference between static (i.e. compile-time) and
> dynamic (i.e. run-time) linking.

Conceptually I understand the difference between static and dynamic
linking, I just don't understand the low-level mechanics of how dynamic
linking works at runtime.  But thank you for the comprehensable
explanation anyway - I'm sure there are people out there who also
appreciate it.

> you can see the various imports and exports in a .o or .a file using
> the program "nm". for example, in vpopmail 5.4.22, the file "md5.o"
> contains the following symbols:
>
> $ nm md5.o
> 000007e0 T MD5Final
> 00000038 T MD5Init
> 0000006c T MD5Transform
> 000006ec T MD5Update
> 00000000 T byteReverse
>           U memcpy
>           U memset
>
> the symbols with "T" are exports, the functions in the module. these
> function names are available to be matched against other modules
> which may need them. the symbols with "U" are imports, names which
> need to be matched against other modules in order to build a final
> working program. in this case, the "memcpy" and "memset" functions
> are defined in the "memcpy.o" module within "libc.a" or "libc.so".

This part I didn't know - thanks!

> then, when the program is actually executed, the first thing it does
> is call a "run-time linker", usually called "ld.so". the run-time
> linker loads the necessary .so files into your program's memory
> space, performs the "fixups" (i.e. stores the final in-memory address
> of the library functions into the correct memory locations in your
> code), and then jumps to the starting point of your program.
>
> because modern CPUs support the concept of making a particular
> segment of memory "read only", and because most memory management
> hardware makes it possible to map a particular physical segment of
> memory to appear in any logical address within the address space, it
> is possible for shared libraries to physically exist in memory only
> one time, while visible to multiple processes as different addresses.
> this is why, if you look at a process with "ps" or "top", you'll see
> two memory-usage numbers- the "virtual size", which is how much total
> memory space is used if this process were the only one on the
> machine, and "resident set", which is how much memory is dedicated to
> just that one process. the difference in these two numbers is the
> amount used for shared memory, usually shared libraries like libc.so.

OK - I knew and/or guessed about 3/4 of this, but thanks for clarifying.

>>  and thus am not sure exactly how can be affected performance-wise.
>
> the vpopmail programs are already dynamically loaded- it's just the
> "libvpopmail.a" functions which are not loaded dynamically. the
> performance hit would be minimal- it already has to load libc.so at
> run-time, one more library won't take long enough to make any real
> difference.

That's what I was wondering about...

>> 1) A shared library with a stable API would make recompiling outside
>> programs (e.g., QmailAdmin) unnecessary, which would be a Good Thing
>> (tm).
>
> as long as it's the same API for all of the authentication modules.
>
> i can also see having "libvpopmail.so" for the client-facing
> programs, then modules like "libvpopmailauth_cdb.so",
> "libvpopmailauth_mysql.so", and so forth, for the back-end code to
> handle the mechanics for that particular authentication back-end,
> similar to how courier-authlib is structured.

That's not a bad idea - IIRC you can dynamically link shared libraries to
other shared libraries, so the actual function calls could be handled via
config data and function pointer arrays...

>> 2) There has been some question regarding performance of the vpopmail
>> programs when compiled against shared vs. static libraries.  I
>> suggest the
>> following options be added for shared libraries at compile-time:
>>   a) --disable-shared - don't build libvpopmail.so, which is what
>> vpopmail
>> does now.
>>   b) --enable-shared - build libvpopmail.so, but don't link the
>> vpopmail
>> binaries against it - this gives other programs the ability to use the
>> shared library, but keeps the vpopmail binaries statically linked.
>>   c) --enable-shared-binaries - build libvpopmail.so and link the
>> vpopmail
>> binaries against it.  Implies --enable-shared.
>>   d) possibly, if it's not to difficult, have a --enable-shared-
>> binaries=
>> and/or --enable-static-binaries= option, which takes a list of
>> binaries
>> to link against the stated library, and links the rest against the
>> other.  So you could have static vdelivermail and vchkpw, but not
>> vadduser, for example.  Not sure if that really is necessary, but
>> static
>> linking does save space...
>
> i vote for "a" and "c" during a transition period, then "c" as the
> only option after that.
>
> in either case, i think "d" might be taking the idea too far.

Yeah, I realized that after the fact.  I'm great ad coming up with lots of
ideas of what can be dine, and then I need to rein them in as to what
_should_ be done :)

>> 3) In all cases, even if the vpopmail binaries are linked against the
>> shared library, the static library libvpopmail.a should be built since
>> some programs expect it.
>
> maybe for interim versions, to give other programs' developers time
> to deal with the change... but i think that a "vpopmail version 6"
> should be "shared only".

I don't see why there shouldn't be a static library that has exactly the
same ABI as the shared one, in case someone wants (or needs) a static
binary.  But they should be interchangable at compile time.

>> Also, just a supposition on my part, but if you're running (e.g.)
>> courier-authdaemon linked against libvpopmail.so all the time,
>> wouldn't
>> that (theoretically) mean that other dynamically linked vpopmail
>> programs
>> would run faster than the static version since the library would
>> already
>> be loaded in memory?
>
> yes, but the difference wouldn't really be noticeable- it would still
> be a few milliseconds slower than having the functions hard-coded
> into the binaries.

OK

>> If so, perhaps the speed solution for a dynamic
>> (e.g.) vdelivermail would be to run something that was dynamically
>> linked
>> all the time, so libvpopmail stayed in memory...
>
> if you're on a system which is busy enough that these few
> milliseconds are a significant issue, you will already have tens or
> hundreds of other processes with libvpopmail.so mapped into their
> memory space anyway- so again, it won't be an issue.

Gotcha.

>> Anyway, that's it for now - I haven't even tried the patch against the
>> latest vpopmail, though I'm guessing it should be fairly easy (albeing
>> possibly tedious) to integrate since it's not much in the way of
>> actual
>> code changes...
>
> if you have a URL for that patch, i'd like to play with it myself.

It's on the vpopmail SF page, under feature requests.

Josh

Joshua Megerman
SJGames MIB #5273 - OGRE AI Testing Division
You can't win; You can't break even; You can't even quit the game.
  - Layman's translation of the Laws of Thermodynamics
[EMAIL PROTECTED]