I got bit hard this morning and I am looking for a solution. I have been slowly getting our email system up to snuff moving from a pair of servers to two gateway AV scanners, three vpopmail toasters, and two outbound qmail servers. The toasters mount the Maildirs via NFS, the AV scanners talk to the toasters via milter-ahead, and the NFS mailstore hosts MySQL for vpopmail.

I've just gotten load balancers installed and moved the outbound traffic there first, getting a good load test on vpopmaild for smtp-auth. I had promised to provide the scripts and now I am actually seeing how well they work.

Problems arose when my NFS server went stupid this morning and all mail stopped. AV scanners couldn't verify mailboxes because the toasters couldn't see MySQL, the outbound servers couldn't do smtp-auth for the same reason. It wouldn't have mattered anyway because my Maildirs were offline. NFS is my single point of failure, even though it is RAID5, dual NIC, dual power supply (SUN Enterprise 250), it went offline.

I need to fix that, I can cluster MySQL but I am looking for ways to have either a clustered NFS with rw permissions and appropriate locking/syncing, or NFS failover from the toasters.

I am looking at GFS and active/active NFS and HaNFS. Has anyone gone down this path yet?

Thanks,

DAve
Veterans?