ISP Lists wrote:
> Can someone please provide a brief discussion as to when a vpopmail hashed
> folder tree becomes "big enough" to warrant backfilling?  Or, is "big"
> just one concern amongst others such as: "rate of deletes and adds",
> "filesystem choice"...
> I'm not quite picking up why the backfill is important.

You've got it backwards.  Backfilling becomes important when adding users.
vpopmail hashes directories at around 100 users per directory.  It also does
this with domain directories.  The problem is that the hashing does not take
user removal into account.  If you add 1000 users, and delete the first 500,
the hashing leaves empty hash directories and continues to add new ones, rather
than re-using previously created hash directories that are no longer full.
    Matt Brookings <>       GnuPG Key D9414F70
    Software developer                     Systems technician
    Inter7 Internet Technologies, Inc.     (815)776-9465