Matt Brookings wrote:
Remember that this feature does not yet exist, and that there are probably
many systems with backfilling needs that go back years.  Potentially this
patch could hit a system with four levels of hashing simply because there's
been a lot of additions and deletions.  If the backfill patch doesn't take
this into consideration, we may need to consider writing some sort of
utility to analyze and "clean", a system that is "overhashed".

My system would be one of those, here are the stats from just one domain after 4 years of use. I have been putting off hacking together a Perl script to move everything around and update the MySQL tables. Honestly, I cannot say there is any performance hit even with the dirs this messed up.

[r...@newnfs:/usr/local/scripts/old-scripts]# ./dircheck.sh tls.net
dir 0 ->        35
dir 1 ->        38
dir 2 ->        36
dir 3 ->        30
dir 4 ->        32
dir 5 ->        38
dir 6 ->        32
dir 7 ->        33
dir 8 ->        38
dir 9 ->        33
dir A ->        31
dir B ->        26
dir C ->        45
dir D ->        32
dir E ->        32
dir F ->        19
dir G ->        36
dir H ->        42
dir I ->        39
dir J ->        30
dir K ->        34
dir L ->        30
dir M ->        33
dir N ->        31
dir O ->        33
dir P ->        26
dir Q ->        27
dir R ->        24
dir S ->        29
dir T ->        31
dir U ->        32
dir V ->        25
dir W ->        38
dir X ->        45
dir Y ->        30
dir Z ->        30
dir a ->        31
dir b ->        11
dir c ->        31
dir d ->        36
dir e ->         3
dir f ->         2
dir g ->         5
dir h ->        64
dir i ->        14
dir j ->        13
dir k ->        13
dir l ->        13
dir m ->        26
dir n ->        17
dir o ->        36
dir p ->        16
dir q ->        17
dir r ->        33
dir s ->        23
dir t ->        30
dir u ->       620
dir v ->       759

DAve
--
The whole internet thing is sucking the life out of me,
there ain't no pony in there.

!DSPAM:496b560c32679005657564!