I use dovecot with vpopmail as well. Performance is much better than courier.

Tom Collins wrote:
Even if it's possible to set up imap-before-smtp, you'll be much better off if you have your clients use SMTP AUTH instead. More reliable, more predictable, and supported by almost every email client out there.

If you really want to try it, consider Dovecot instead of Courier. I think dovecot uses vchkpw, and is probably going to be easier to configure.

-Tom