On 09/10/2010 12:45 PM, Davis Sylvester wrote:

I am using Qmail and Dovecot for IMAP.  Prior to installing Dovecot we
only offered POP3 and SMTP services.
The issue I have run into is that after I installed Dovecot, IMAP runs
fine, but when my users go to send email they can't.

This was just discussed on the list yesterday.  Dovecot caches user
information in memory and does not support roaming users.  You will
need to switch to SMTP authentication.

POP-before-SMTP is *bad*.

Is there a simple resolution to resolve this issue?  I have looked at
SMTP-AUTH but not sure it will work with vpopmail.

It works.  Just be sure that you have clear passwords enabled in
vpopmail if you want to support CRAM-MD5 authentication.

Quoting Davis Sylvester <davis.sylvester...@gmail.com>:

Matt what smtp-patch do u suggest!  Can u point me to a current howto?

After reading http://www.fehcom.de/qmail/smtpauth.html this morning, I'm hoping for a good answer to Davis' question as well. Do you think the guide at the bottom there is the way to go?

Is migrating to postfix (still with vpopmail) a viable / advisable alternative?

thank you all very much,
Joe

!DSPAM:4c8ba28c32714780799071!