I have searched my problem extensively on the web and even in the
archives on this list without success.  I say without success because
there were many similar problems with different configurations going
back to about 2003 but in many cases, the question I am about to ask
was ignored on the lists.

I have installed netqmail + vpopmail + ezmlm dozens of times without any
problems following "Life With Qmail" explicitly and the instruction with
vpopmail.  I have had 3 failed attempts using 64bit CentOS 6.0, 6.1 and
now 6.2.  Everything functions - qmailadmin works and authenticates,
mail is received on the server and mail can be sent BUT popping the mail
 from the server fails with the error "Unable to connect to server
'servername' Cannot send password".

My mailer configuration is exactly the same as I use on working setups.
I have wasted days on a solution - even trying older and the development
versions of vpopmail.  The version I am currently using is 5.4.33.

The following is my /var/qmail/supervise/qmail-pop3d/run script.

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 10000000 \
    /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -H -l 0 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
        FQDN_disguised /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d
Maildir 2>&1

vchkpw indeed resides where it should be as outlined above.  The mail arrives
in a Maildir folder exactly as it should.  There are several domains, each
being set up from scratch using vadddomain and then users were added with
qmailadmin which functions normally.

My bad experiences have only been with CentOS 6.X and I manage several other
servers running CentOS 5.X without any issues both in 64 and 32 bit.  I am at
my wits end and can only assume a problem with the latest CentOS and there for
perhaps with similar versions of RHEL.

I hope someone has some ideas.

With thanks in advance,

Rick