For your reference, here's the .spec file I'm using for the QMailToaster version of vpopmail:
https://github.com/QMailToaster/vpopmail/blob/master/vpopmail.spec
This is building ok on CentOS 5 & 6, and both x86_64 and i386 arch's.

You might try running autoreconf && automake && autoconf before running the configure script, and see what that does for you.

HTH.
--
-Eric 'shubes'