On Mar 2, 2009, at 6:31 PM, sam averitt wrote:

A simple suggestion on the name - that VCL be "transferred" to Apache.org and become the official project name. Current users of VCL already wrap their own identity around VCL. NC State would/could still use the qualified name NCSU VCL or NC State's VCL and others would/could do likewise. For example the Virginia group already calls their initiative Virginia VCL.

Unfortunately that's all the more reason for the ASF project to change its name.

I believe there are no specific acknowledgement requirements for use of apache.org software? Meaning that anyone could add a personalized qualifier or not and a root linkage statement (like powered by Apache.org's VCL) or
not.

Project attribution should not be confused with with the department. To be sure NCSU could use Apache VCL, install it, use it, and provide attribution. However, having the progenitor keep its name, VCL, causes a conflict that needs to be resolved. This issue can easily be solved by having this project choose a new name.

Seems to me that providing a combined personal identifier and default
root linkage mechanism would help, not hurt the Apache brand.

Attribution is always appreciated but it's a not very convincing argument for the ASF keeping a name that is at odds with its progenitor's and now other universities' project names, VCL.

What I can say
is that this assessment is consistent with and supported by our experience
to date.

NCSU VCL and its developers have a lot to be proud of. It's only natural that both, NCSU VCL and its developers at ASF VCL, would want to keep their association with the brand. That brand is only strengthened as departments from other universities join in and have their initiatives participate in the VCL brand. Unfortunately the ASF must remain independent this branding effort.

Regards,
Alan