From: Alan D. Cabrera [mailto:l...@toolazydogs.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 12:17 AM
To: vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: VCL, is this name kosher?

On Mar 2, 2009, at 6:31 PM, sam averitt wrote:

> A simple suggestion on the name - that VCL be "transferred" to
> Apache.org
> and become the official project name. Current users of VCL already
> wrap
> their own identity around VCL. NC State would/could still use the
> qualified
> name NCSU VCL or NC State's VCL and others would/could do likewise.
> For
> example the Virginia group already calls their initiative Virginia
> VCL.

Unfortunately that's all the more reason for the ASF project to change
its name.

> I believe there are no specific acknowledgement requirements for use
> of
> apache.org software? Meaning that anyone could add a personalized
> qualifier
> or not and a root linkage statement (like powered by Apache.org's
> VCL) or
> not.

Project attribution should not be confused with with the department.
To be sure NCSU could use Apache VCL, install it,  use it, and provide
attribution.  However, having the progenitor keep its name, VCL,
causes a conflict that needs to be resolved.  This issue can easily be
solved by having this project choose a new name.

> Seems to me that providing a combined personal identifier and default
> root linkage mechanism would help, not hurt the Apache brand.

Attribution is always appreciated but it's a not very convincing
argument for the ASF keeping a name that is at odds with its
progenitor's and now other universities' project names, VCL.

> What I can say
> is that this assessment is consistent with and supported by our
> experience
> to date.

NCSU VCL and its developers have a lot to be proud of.  It's only
natural that both, NCSU VCL and its developers at ASF VCL, would want
to keep their association with the brand.  That brand is only
strengthened as departments from other universities join in and have
their initiatives participate in the VCL brand.  Unfortunately the ASF
must remain independent this branding effort.

Regards,
Alan