Although I helped create the VCL 1.9 VM, I'm only useful to help solve VCL and ESX related problems. The kickstart stuff is all xcat driven, and xcat is a different provisioning module than the ESX.pm module. The VCL 1.9 VM lacks the ESX.pm provisioning code so to deploy to ESX using netboot you'll need to update to the latest code in the SVN. To look at the latest code for the different provisioning modules see here: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/vcl/trunk/managementnode/lib/VCL/Module/Provisioning/

You can download the latest snapshot of the code from the SVN at apache.org. This code contains the ESX provisioning module with instructions on how to set it up. Those instructions are here: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/vcl/trunk/managementnode/lib/VCL/Module/Provisioning/esx.README

To add an virtual machine image, such that the ESX.pm module above can deploy it, build the linux image in the following way: http://wiki.oscr.ncsu.edu/wiki/index.php/Creating_a_base_linux_ESX_image_for_VCL

When the 2.1 VCL release happens (not sure when), ibiblio.org will be making a virtual machine version available also.

Does this help?

Best,
Brian

Brian Bouterse