I've been out of band most of May due to some work commitments and I'm catching up.

Apart from the name thing it looks like the dev list is increasing in activity and there are some good discussions / collaboration going on. I'm sorting through the thread so I may run into a note on this but I think a release is needed. I saw sometime back that Brian had released something outside of the Apache process. I expect it was to show something off and it was faster than getting a whole release done. Getting the 1.0 release out will help build the community as it will then be Apache VCL 1.0 which will bring people here.