Hi Matt,
The OS tasks are handles by different OS modules. An OS object is created for each reservation being processed. The module which gets instantiated as the OS object depends on the OS of the image assigned to the reservation. I have begun some crude documentation on the steps involved in processing a reservation here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Image+Load+Flow

I would start by looking at the following subroutines in Windows_mod.pm:

-pre_capture() - gets called before an image is captured
-post_load() - gets called after an image is loaded and SSH is responding
-reserve() - gets called when the computer has to be configured for a particular user/reservation
-sanitize() - gets called if a computer was reserved but the user never logged
in

These methods are defined in the interface API for OS modules but there is still some work to do to get all of the OS modules aligned. The specification is here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Operating+System+Module+Interface+Specification

This page may also help (though my Gliffy diagrams somehow got messed up):
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Operating+System+Module+Inheritance

Please clarify if this isn't what you're looking for or have additional
questions.

Hope this helps,
Andy

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
Can someone provide me a pointer in the tree that outlines the various ways OS instances are intiialized? I'm thinking of the low-level OS things like initial user IDs, network information, startup scripting, etc. Specifically, I'm looking for how this is handled for multiple OSes.

I'll poke in the tree but if someone has a quick pointer that would be appreciated.

Thanks