Kelly,

Affiliations in VCL are really just used as a way to know which users and user
groups belong to an institution.  Affiliations cannot be directly used to
grant anyone access to anything.  That's what user groups are for.

If you really want to stick with the way you are currently doing things (which
may lead to further problems down the road), you can do something similar to
what I mentioned below.  However, instead of having a loop that does a
regular expression match on each of the user's LDAP groups, you can just
define a single user group for each affiliation and have the function make
sure the user is in that group.

For user group management in general, I've just finished writing and
documenting a python script that interfaces with the XML RPC API to allow for
user group management from the command line.  More info on it here:

http://cwiki.apache.org/VCL/managegroupspy-remotely-managing-user-groups.html

Josh

- --
Josh Thompson