It looks like the image capture was successful and the vmware.pm module had trouble changing the file names to the new image name. I don't think it was the result of renaming the VM directory. You had the right idea by changing it to match the reservation ID. I think the problem has to do with the original names of the .vmdk files which were named after the manually created VM. What are the contents of /install/vmware_images/vmwarewinxp-base7-v0/?

At this point I would manually fix the captured VM files. The .vmdk files should be named vmwarewinxp-base7-v0-s00x.vmdk. Rename all of the .vmdk files in the /install/vmware_images/vmwarewinxp-base7-v0/ directory to match this format. Change the first part of the names but keep the 's00x.vmdk' as they are named now.

There should be one .vmdk file without the 's00x' part. This should now be named vmwarewinxp-base7-v0.vmdk. This file needs to be edited because it contains the names of the other .vmdk files. You should see an "Extent description" section in the file with the original names. Change each lines to include 'vmwarewinxp-base7-v0-x00x.vmdk' instead of the old name.

Next, make sure the VCL 'deleted' column in the image and imagerevision tables for this image is set to 0. In the image table, check id=7. You'll have to look at the imagerevision table to figure out which one is for this revision. The imagerevision.imagename value will be vmwarewinxp-base7-v0.

Next, make sure there isn't a directory named '/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines/vmwarewinxp-base7-v0'. There shouldn't be one but check to make sure. If it exists, rename it for now.

Next, cross your fingers and try to make a reservation for this image. If you created and configured multiple VMs in VCL then another one should already be in the available state and you should be able to make a reservation. If not, change the state of your VM to 'available' via Manage Computers.

If you have trouble, the following will be useful:
$ ls -l /install/vmware_images
$ ls -l /install/vmware_images/vmwarewinxp-base7-v0
$ ls -l /var/lib/vmware/Virtual\ Machines/
$ cat /install/vmware_images/vmwarewinxp-base7-v0/vmwarewinxp-base7-v0.vmdk

I'm thinking there's a problem with the instructions that caused this latest problem. I'll go through them. Stating the obvious, but we obviously need a much better way to create base image reservations.

Hope this helps,
Andy

Terry McGuire wrote:
...which I "fixed" by renaming the vm directory and configuration file to
nnvmguest-1 - with 'nn' incremented by 1 each time I attempted the capture
(making it equal to the reservation id). Without maunally renaming, attempting
to register the vm as you, and the warning itself, suggested simply reported
that the vm didn't exist. Renaming things, I cleared the above warning, and,
with a bit more futzing, even got the image to be captured, but then ran
straight into the next problem:

|459|1:31|image| ---- CRITICAL ----
|459|1:31|image| 2010-02-08
16:51:49|459|1:31|image|vmware.pm:capture(1322)|could not read
/install/vmware_images/vmwarewinxp-base7-v0/.vmdk Inappropriate ioctl for device
|459|1:31|image| ( 0) utils.pm, notify (line: 737)
|459|1:31|image| (-1) vmware.pm, capture (line: 1322)
|459|1:31|image| (-2) image.pm, process (line: 162)
|459|1:31|image| (-3) vcld, make_new_child (line: 594)
|459|1:31|image| (-4) vcld, main (line: 341)

...etc., etc. And, at this point, I figured I ought to contact you again for
assistance. I *have* to be getting closer now, but clearly I'm still missing
some required details. My current problem sure seems related to the previous
one: naming and renaming the vm - but beyond that I'm personally at a dead-end.
So, if you remain willing, help!

Thanks,
Terry