On Jun 1, 2010, at 8:26 AM, Josh Thompson wrote:

(This message is to everyone in the community. I added [mentors] to the subject to help our mentors know it is of particular importance for them to

After reading "Reg: JIRA issue VCL-202" by Kiran N sent on May 28, I realized we need some guidelines for contributing large modifications to the project. This is the general work flow I'd like to see happen for large modifications. Please provide comments and suggestions. Everyone's input is welcome (and desired) -- if you are interested in becoming a committer, this would be a
great place to step up involvement.

(1) State on the vcl-dev list what modification you'd like to make. Some background on why the existing codebase doesn't work in your situation would be useful. Remember, when you modify existing code, it affects work being done by other contributors, which can result in imposing additional work on

(2) Propose a plan on the vcl-dev list for making the modification. There may be others that want the same modification or something similar that can be
incorporated at the same time.  Those people can help develop the
modification. On the other hand, the modification may have a very negative affect on some other part of the project. Also, this provides an opportunity for existing contributors (those who know the codebase well) to provide input
on your plan.  The plan needs to include how the modification will be
maintained in the future - will you continue to maintain it; will existing
contributors have to pick it up and maintain it?

(3) Create a JIRA issue to track implementation of the plan and start
developing. This provides a way for others to track work being done on the modification and ensures information about the modification will be added to
the CHANGELOG when the next release is cut.

Seems reasonable to me.