Hello Xianqing,

No vcl is not creating the meta file, it's suppose to retrieve all the *.vmdk files. The current provisioning modules are only creating the .vmx file.

Isn't there drive dependent information (adpater type, cylinder info) in the vmdk file? Or is there a way to build that off the raw disk file?

Aaron

On 6/22/10 9:04 AM, yu267155...@hotmail.com wrote:

Hi VCL team:

I deploy VCL on the VMware Esx 3i server. So it use esx module and need
both -flat.vmdk and meta-data "*.vmdk". However, for some reason, I can only
retrive the -flat.vmdk file. Is there any VCL code can automatically
generate meta-data file based on the image file -flat.vmdk?

Thanks,

Xianqing

From: "Benjamin Gilbert" <bgilb...@cs.cmu.edu>
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2010 03:29 PM
To: "Xianqing Yu" <x...@ncsu.edu>
Cc: "Glenn Ammons" <amm...@us.ibm.com>; "Peng Ning" <pn...@ncsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Proto-Olive API key

However, when I try to retrive the image, for instance CentOS, from the Olive server, I can only get the -flat.vmdk, not metadata vmdk.

For maximum compatibility across different virtual machine monitors, the agreed design for global Olive stores only a raw-format disk image, and *not* VMM-specific metadata such as the metadata VMDK file. At the May 7th meeting, we discussed having proto-Olive synthesize a metadata VMDK file for VCL, but it was ultimately agreed that VCL could create this file itself when retrieving an image from Olive. My understanding is that VCL already has code to do this; are you able to simply reuse that code?

--Benjamin Gilbert

Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University