Hello Aaron Peeler,

I think this is a great idea, I have had this happen to me before and
It's no fun. I would also love to see a easy way to extend the time
frame that you can create images for. Currently it is set to 8 hours.
If there was a menu options with a time frame drop down, or even an
edit mode that would extend the time to create/modify images that
would be helpful as well as your suggested auto image patch.

-Alex

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Mark Gardner <m...@vt.edu> wrote:
> Seems like a desirable feature to me.
>
> Mark
>
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Aaron Peeler <aaron_pee...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to add in a feature to automatically capture an image and at the
>> end of or at the timeout of image creation reservations.
>>
>> There have been some cases, where end-users have been in image creation
>> mode, made many changes, then lost everything due to their reservation being
>> timed out. This feature, would at the end of their imaging reservation
>> automatically start the image capture process instead of timing it out.
>>
>> The changes would be minor and would affect the front end and the backend
>> inuse module.
>>
>> frontend changes:
>> * add create image routines to available xmlrpc functions
>> * additionally the frontend would
>> 1 insert new image if it was a kickstart type image
>> 2 insert new image if end-user is not the image owner
>> 3 update the image if end-user is the image owner
>>
>> inuse.pm changes
>> - when end time is reached - 10 minute warning
>> - and if request has forimaging flag set
>> - send different message to end-user about automatically starting the
>> capture process
>> - call xmrpc_create_image with reservation/request id
>> - exit quietly from the insue.pm module (imaging process will take over)
>>
>> Note this would affect anyone here who is using image creation reservations
>> for long-term reservations to get around the check-user flag. As part of
>> service loads scheduled for the 2.3 release I think we had planned to extend
>> user and user group attributes to disable user checks on per reservation
>> using a user attribute in addition to the current image profile attribute.
>>
>> Unless anyone chimes in over the next days, I'll assume it's ok to move
>> forward on this change.
>>
>> Aaron
>>
>> --
>> Aaron Peeler