Patrick,
I have encountered some similar behavior with Cygwin. In my case, /bin/bash
did not have the executable bit set on the Windows image. (`chmod +x
/bin/bash` fixed that). In any case, I found the sshd error logs to be very
helpful.

Aaron Coburn
Systems Administrator and Programmer
Academic Technology Services, Amherst College
(413) 542-5451 acob...@amherst.edu