Thanks very much for figuring this out.

I was thinking of removing VMware Tools from our base images. I think the only benefit in our environment is better performance when you have to log in via the vSphere Client console. I have seen intermittent problems where a VM boots and the CPU is pegged at 100% for a few minutes. It seemed as though the vSphere Client reported the VMware Tools status as "out of date", though I'm not certain this is the culprit.

Another problem occurs if the VM host's time is incorrect and VMware Tools is configured to sync time with the host. As part of the post-load steps, VCL runs commands to sync time on the guest OS with Internet NTP servers. VMware Tools may change the time back to an incorrect value after this occurs.

There are some things we can do in the VCL code to work around these problems. The VMware services can be disabled before the image is captured and then started after the computer responds to SSH. The Tools settings or possibly the vmx file can also be configured to not sync time with the host. Thoughts?

-Andy