Sent: Monday, August 08, 2011 11:37 AM
To: vcl-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Reserve a cluster in VCL

Since this thread is moved from a "how to" to a design I'm changing it
to the vcl-dev list.

These are some of the initial key questions which would need to be
discovered/answered.

My first pass would be to break this down into two problems to solve.

1) better handling of multiple networks already trunked to the vcl
infrastructure either through the hyerpvisor or a locally managed
switch.

2) dynamically creating/destroying vlans at provisioning time.

----
1 - is there, but is within the provisioning modules. Should it stay
in the prov modules or be generalized and called as a lower-level
function which can be accessed by all the prov. modules.? Here we
should define a direction we want to go in.

2- The harder one. Maybe not with a single hypervisor. But in the data
center and even across the public internet. Are there any projects out
there which are working on this? The issue comes down to how much
access would be granted to the upstream switches to create a vlan.
Some scope needs to be defined for this problem.

Those are just a couple of my thoughts. But I'm definitely not a networking guy.

Thoughts from others who might have strong network background?

Aaron