Aaron,

It was really just a convention we picked for the affiliations - to have a
single "word" in all caps with no delimiters.  Part of the reasoning for that
was to distinguish them from email addresses as you suggested.  I don't really
remember other reasons, but I don't think that was the only one.  Having
amherst.edu translate to AMHERST matched the other affiliations we already had
better than doing AMHERSTEDU; so, that's what we went with.

Josh

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu