A very nice feature of RDP is the ability to map the local drives -
i.e. the data storage - of the local computer to the VCL computer.

  It takes users a while to get used to this, before it becomes
"natural" to them to have it happen.  Once it does, then the ability to
click on "My Computer" or Windows Explorer and see on one display
C:\ for the VCL computer (for scratch *only* - more said below)
Whatever enterprise the VCL computer can see,
the local computer's hard drive
any other storage on the local computer - including USB connected flash drives
any networked/enterprise storage which the local computer can access

is very useful, and becomes second nature.

  One thing the user must get used to is that the VCL computer's hard
drive will get erased at the end of the session.  Hence the need to
store all work on persistant storage if it is to be kept past the end of
the session.  So this needs to be emphasized in training.

  All of this applies equally well to both Windows and Macs using RDP.

  From what I've seen, the result is that users tend to avoid using the
VCL computer's hard drive.

  The custom at NC State is to also incude scp/ssh clients in the
Windows VCL images.  This can be useful, but very few Windows-only users
pay any attention to these capabilities.

  Last time I looked, the Linux client, rdesktop, didn't do this mapping
of drives.  For this situation, the ability to scp gives a very useful
replacement.  Also, Linux users aren't reluctant to use this.
--
--henry schaffer