Hello Mark,

Apologies for the delayed response. I've put up an initial doc on creating a linux base image.
<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Create+a+Linux+Base+Image>

Please review and let me know if it makes sense. Also note in a future release we are planning to streamline the capture of a node so one doesn't have to insert data directly into the database.

Aaron