David,

If you can have your technical people explain the problems they are
encountering, we'll be happy to help work through the issues.  It would also
be helpful to know where the documentation isn't clear so that we can improve
it.

I'll give a shot at the licensing question.  Hopefully, someone else that's
dealt with it more can answer better.  I know the people dealing with
licensing here at NCSU have run into difficulty with software vendors because
it can be difficult to explain what VCL is and how it delivers apps to
students.  But, once the software vendors really understand VCL, they're
usually quite happy with their software being delivered with it (but not all
of them).  Many software vendors work with academic institutions to get
students exposure to their software so that it results in more use in
industry.  VCL allows their software to be exposed to more students, but
provides better access control to it, which they usually like.  It also
prevents students from using the software once they have left the academic
institution (assuming their login credentials are revoked), which is not
always the case if the software gets installed on a students personal
computer.

Josh

On Wednesday May 19, 2010, Woods, David M. Dr. wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Miami University has started a pilot project to look at the VCL software,
>  and I'm looking for resources to help the project team with this.  At this
>  point, the technical people have gotten the VCL software installed, and
>  are working to connect it to VMWare and build an initial image.  They are
>  struggling a bit with some gaps in the documentation, so suggestions about
>  getting this setup would be appreciated.
>
>   The other questions we have at this point are about licensing.  We have
>  started to talk to some of our software vendors about whether our license
>  allows us to use the VCL to give students access to software, and we are
>  getting a lot of interesting answers.  Our software licensing manager
>  would be interested in getting in touch with people in similar positions
>  at schools that have implemented a VCL to compare notes, etc. so contact
>  info for anyone that helped sort out licensing details would also be
>  appreciated.
>
>  Thanks!
>
> Dave
>

> David Woods, Ph. D
> Assistant Director for Research Computing
> IT Services
> 347 Gaskill Hall
> Miami University
> (513) 529-1857