On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Woods, David M. Dr. <woods...@muohio.edu>wrote:

>  I've asked about this before, and didn't get a lot of response, but
> licensing issues are turning out to be a major issue in our VCL pilot
> project, so I would be interested in talking to anyone who can share
> licensing details of software that is being provided to students in a VCL
> environment.

>  The vendors would be happy to sell us additional licenses to allow us to
> allow students to access the VCL from the student’s personal machine, but
> this would add a lot to the cost of a full scale VCL implementation, so we
> would like to learn more about licensing at other places that have
> implemented a VCL to check with what vendors are telling us.  If you have a
> licensing manager who would be willing to talk to our licensing manager,
> please send  me contact info.
The VAVCL group meet last year and discussed software licensing. I believe
John Krallman from Virginia Tech attended. There is also another meeting
coming up in August. You can contact Sharon Pitt <sp...@gmu.edu> at George
Mason University who can give you more details but here is the invitation I

*"Current software licensing models can be barriers to consumer-orientated
technology services.  On August 11, 2010, you are invited to discuss new
software licensing models that allow us to serve faculty, staff and students
in innovative, improved and more cost effective ways.  This statewide
software summit will be held at Virginia Commonwealth University in
Richmond, VA from 9:30am - 3:30pm. More information, including registration
information, will be forthcoming.  In the meantime, please hold the date."*

I also believe that NC State has done quite a bit with licensing in the
process of developing the VCL approach. You may be able to contact Harry
Schaffer or others at NCSU for more information. (Sorry, I don't have any
special insights into the issues of licensing.)

Mark Gardner