On 2010.06.08, at 20:55, Josh Thompson wrote:

> On Tuesday June 08, 2010, David Abdurachmanov wrote:
>> On 2010.06.08, at 19:29, Josh Thompson wrote:
>>> David,

>>> We already have a JIRA issue created to address that the code is not
>>> compatible with PHP 5.3.  The next release (which will hopefully be out
>>> in July) will work with PHP 5.3.

>>> Can you provide the URLs for this page?  We're working to improve our
>>> documentation.
>>
>> There was a note in INSTALLATION file that if you are using VMWare, you
>> should set state to "virtualmachine" and if left state to "available"
>> website brings error (red next near state) that virtual machine can only
>> be added in "maintenance" state. At that time I was using SVN trunk (my
>> fault).
>>
>>> Adding a computer in the maintenance state is a bug that will also be
>>> fixed in the next release.  The workaround is to add it in the available
>>> state and then change it to the maintenance state after it has been
>>> added.

>>> You want to select "VMware Server GSX" to use with VMWare Server 1.0.X.
>>> In the past, "VMWare GSX" was the name for "VMWare Server".
>>
>> After some reading I found that. I think VMWare 2.X is not supported at
>> this time?
>
> Correct - it will be supported in the next release.

>>> The error in the email you linked to is in computers.php.  So, I'm
>>> guessing you're just saying you see something similar.  Where did you get
>>> the VCL code (2.1 release, subversion. other)?  Line 148 in requests.php
>>> in the 2.1 code is a simple print statement that wouldn't cause an error.
>>
>> My bad, I was too quick. This error is in trunk version. In printed very
>> similar array from PHP.
>>
>> There is more, NewSID tool is retired and no more supported. Link:
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897418.aspx in
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Management+Node+Installati
>> on is no more valid.
>
> Yeah, I just discovered that today as well.  I'm not yet sure how we'll
> handle
> that.

Reading Mark Russinovich blog post about why tool is discontinued is the best
place to start.

>> Is it possible to run the whole system in standalone environment? As I
>> understand you must have two interfaces (eth0, eth1), public and private?
>> Is it possible for testing purpose run everything on single interface or
>> use loop-back interface, sub-interfaces? I was trying to follow the
>> articles, but after getting VCL running and VMWare Server installed there
>> seems to be very little documentation how to make everything work.
>
> I hesitate to mention this because it can be tricky to set up, but you can
> follow these instructions:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Configuring+a+Standalone+VMware+VCL+Environment
>
> to set up a standalone environment using vmware.  Please note the disclaimer
> at the top of the page stating that it is not for setting up a production
> environment.

I was trying to follow this manual, but as I said I am not quite sure what to
do with network interfaces, especially when only eth0 is available on my system
(apart loopback). Tomorrow morning I am resuming testing, I might be able to
ask more concrete questions.