You need to add the host itself.  After adding it, you will need to manually
put the computer in the vmhostinuse state by modifying the computer table.
You'll need to set the stateid of the computer to 20.  Next, you'll need to go
to "Virtual Hosts" and modify the VM Host Profile that matches your ESX setup
the best so that the settings match your setup (ask on the list if your are
unsure of any of the settings).  Then, you will need to manually create an
entry in the vmhost table.

After that, you need to add the VMs.  It is best to do this using the the "Add
Multiple" checkbox.  Note that there is a bug in the 2.1 code that keeps you
from adding the computers in the maintenance state; so, make sure you select
"available" as the state when you add them.  After adding them, you can go to
computer utilities and change the state to maintenance.

Finally, you should be able to go to "Virtual Hosts" and add the VMs to the
ESX host.

The reason for having to do the manual entries in the database is that VM
support in VCL was added with the assumption that the VM host servers would be
deployed with a bare metal provisioning engine such as xCAT, in which case the
manual interaction with the database is not needed.  We're hearing more and
more that people are wanting to take VCL and use it with existing VM host
servers.  So, we will be making it possible to easily do that through the web
interface.  However, that probably won't make it into the 2.2 release.

On Thursday August 12, 2010, Randy Sprague wrote:
> Do I need to add the ESX 4.1 host itself in the managment node->Add
>  Computer->Add Single Computer screen, or just the vm's by name & IP?
> Thanks,
> Randy.

Systems Programmer
Advanced Computing | VCL Developer