I did a quick test by opening Windows Remote Desktop (aka mstsc.exe ) and
saving the default values to an RDP file (which you can open with any text
editor).  Changing only the dropdown for type of network connection, these were
the resulting diffs:

LAN Connection
connection type:i:6
disable wallpaper:i:0
allow font smoothing:i:1
allow desktop composition:i:1
disable full window drag:i:0
disable menu anims:i:0
disable themes:i:0

Modem Connection
connection type:i:1
disable wallpaper:i:1
allow font smoothing:i:0
allow desktop composition:i:0
disable full window drag:i:1
disable menu anims:i:1
disable themes:i:1

I noticed that the checkboxes under the connection dropdown changed
automatically when specifying the type of network connection.  Whether actually
specifying only connection type 6 as opposed to connection type 1 (and none of
the other settings) will make any difference I can't say.

If you want to "crank up" the settings, I'd just use all the values that are
the default for LAN Connection.  End users can override these at their
choosing.  Note that "advanced" users who simply fire up RDP on their own and
enter the hostname in the VCL reservation screen won't get any settings but
their own defaults.

Just remember if you do have any off-LAN people using the system that RDP is
not very optimized, so they may not have a very good experience if everything
is turned to full value.
--
Tony Miller
Technology Consultant