This looks the Linux kernel "OOM Killer" killed vmware-vmx.
Here's a nice article that describes it.
> http://lwn.net/Articles/104179

Turning it off with a kernel setting could avoid it. But it may
cause the system to just crash instead. You could add more swap space.
But the system will be a really slow when it runs out of ram.

I suggest avoiding over committing the ram by watching the memory
size of the vm images.

The vmware consultant we had help us virtualize our data center said
you can over commit the CPU by about a factor of 2. But we should
avoid(and monitor) over committing the RAM.

Just my 2 cents,

__Jim

On 10/6/2010 10:30 AM, Duhon, Gregory D wrote:
> Have any of you experienced this error message within your VCL
> environment?  If so, how did you solve it?
>

> Oct  5 19:38:05 vclesx02 kernel: Out of memory: Killed process 28055,
> UID 0, (vmware-vmx).
>

> We currently have a minimum of 20 vmguest to a maximum of 30 vmguest
> allocated per blade within our VCL environment.  With 48GB of memory per
> blade, we thought this was a ‘no-brainer’.  Well, it isn’t.
>

> How many vmguest are most of you running per blade/computer within your
> VCL environment?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Gregory Duhon
>
> Infrastructure Architect