Ahh, the OOM killer. :)

I typically only run in to this error when students accidentally put a
fork in a loop and create a "fork bomb".

In *nix, you can reduce the chance of this happening by putting a limit
in the /etc/security/limits.conf, like:

*       hard    nproc           200  # adjust this number to taste
root -           # make sure root can still have no limit

That way no single user can have over (say) 200 processes, the second
line allows root to go unlimited.
You can also put some limits on RAM, etc.  Some of these settings may be
helpful.

Having a limit can be bad, but not as bad as having the OOM killer come
out on the loose.
Once the grim reaper comes out bad things happen. :)

John Jones
East Carolina University
College of Technology and Computer Science
Science and Technology Bldg. Suite 100
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
252-737-1940, Fax 252-328-4250