It looks like you need to add the entry for your VM to the /etc/hosts file on the management node: centos

Once this is added, manually run the nmap command that failed on the management node to make sure it will work before reattempting the image capture:
/usr/bin/nmap centos -P0 -p 24 -T Aggressive

Also verify that you can ssh from the management node to this VM using its
ssh -i <path to identity key> centos

The 'vcld -setup' utility has already added all of the necessary entries to the database for the new image and imaging reservation. When the capture process failed, the VCL request ( = 14) was left in the database and its state was changed to 'maintenance' (request.stateid = 10). To restart the image capture process, all you need to do is change request.stateid back to the 'image' state (request.stateid = 16) and your running vcld daemon should restart the process. You don't need to run 'vcld -setup' again.

There is currently no web interface or utility to change the request state so it will have to be done manually to the database. You'll probably want to install phpmyadmin if you haven't done so already. The statement to update the request state:
update request set stateid = 16 where id = 14;

The VCL daemon will begin processing the imaging request again within a few seconds. Run 'tail -f /var/log/vcld.log' before executing the SQL statement to watch the progress.

Hope this helps,

John Ma wrote:

I am new to VCL. Having spent two days trying to get VCL2.2 working with ESXi4.1 but failed, I decided to ask for help.

Does anyone have a success story with ESXi4? I am using the licensed ESXi and have vSphere SDK for perl 4.1 installed. What I am trying to achieve is 1)to capture a generic linux image from one of the vm guests and 2) to deploye/load it to multiple guests, all the guest running on the same ESXi4.1 host. I think I don't need xCAT, so it's not installed.

Attached is the script log from one of my attempts to capture image by 'vlcd -setup'.

John Ma
sys admin
Marist College