Have you looked at the vmware console to see if the image will boot?

I'm using vcl 2.2 and esxi 4.1, and I had an issue loading up a 64 bit
centos image. It wouldn't start up because the hardware settings in vmx
file created by vcl didn't match the settings I used when created the
image. In partilcular, I had to use 'LSI logic parallel' for the hard
drive driver, and e1000 for the nic, when I created the image.

Hope this helps,

- --
Jim O'Dell
Network Analyst