This really seems to be less of a problem with VCL and more of an issue with
the Linux box you have it running on. Possibly a question more for a
mailing-list or forum related to that particular Linux distro. But anyway,
what Linux distro are you running on. Many distros these days disable root
via ssh by default, in which case you should log in as a regular user that
has been granted sudo access, then run "sudo -i" or "sudo su -" to escalate
yourself to root.