Yes this easily gets confusing. The directory on the management node is
set under your management node configuration under "install path".  This
is actually stores a copy of the image. The datastore is a directory on
the ESXi and from what I understand can be a local volume or a network
resource (nfs). When you select "localdisk" the image is stored on both
the datastore location and also copied to the management node location.
When you select "networkdisk" the image is only stored in the datastore
location. If this is not correct I hope someone will correct me but this
is what I have seen and gather from the documentation.

Martin

Martin Malinics
Network Manager
Coatesville Area School District
610-466-2441
malin...@coatesville.k12.pa.us
>>> Mauricio César Ramírez Torres<mrami...@cft.com.mx> 02/12/11 12:08 PM

Thanks Martin, I think I'm beginning to understand, I
think my error is because the
configuration I'm setting in the profile "VMWare ESX - Local Storage" I
did consideringthat the storage is local to the ESX but actually
refers to is for local ManagementNode ifI am correct then I
create a local
resource in my managementnode and share via NFSwith ESXi and the path
that I set in the profile is for the ManagementNode.

On 11/02/11 19:56, Marty Malinics wrote:
> I'm still pretty new to this myself but I just spent most of the week
> learning it and finally was able to capture an image. From what I read
> in the documentation depending on whether you set up your VM profile
for
> localdisk or network disk your image will be stored on the management
> server or a shared network disk. If you have more than one Virtual
host
> you may want to go the network shared route. The easiest way is to
> create a new storage repository on the VMsphere client. I used nfs and
> named mine VCL but I don't think it really matters as long as it
matches
> the VM profile under the datastore setting. Once you create the
storage
> on the vmsphere client you will see a new directory created under
> /vmfs/volumes/ on the ESXi server. The directory
/install/vmware_images
> is the location on the management server where images are stored.
> Regarding the vmx file location, this is set under the VM path setting
> in the VM profile. I used the location /vmware on the ESXi server.
When

--
Atte.

Mauricio César Ramírez Torres.
Soporte Técnico Frigus Bohn.
Tel. (442) 296 4566

Antes de imprimir este correo electrónico, piensa bien si es
imprescindible hacerlo.
El Medio Ambiente es cosa de todos.