I have seen the same issue myself. It's a timing issue related to the 'reserved' state. During this state, the vcld process loops until it detects a value in reservation.remoteIP which gets set when the user clicks 'Connect'. There is a 5 second wait in between attempts. This could be reduced but the downside would be a little more processing on the management node.

Once it detects the remote IP has been set, it can take 3-9 seconds for the firewall-opening commands to be executed.

Quickly looking at the code, I think some improvements can be made to reduce the lag time. I created an issue for this: