Windows 7 Sysprep is very problematic and extremely slow. I recommend not using it by configuring the setting Patrick described. As of VCL 2.2.1, you should only have to do this for bare-metal images. Sysprep will be disabled for all VMware image captures as of VCL 2.2.1.

The Unattend.xml file is a chore to configure. The file included with VCL has been configured using Windows 7 Enterprise. It may fail if other variants are used.

NC State has been moving away from using Win7/2008 Sysprep wherever possible. We have removed access to our bare-metal Win7 base images, only allowing users to create VMware Win7 images. We have also converted some existing Windows 7 bare-metal images which had been using Sysprep to VM images using the VMware Converter utility.

-Andy