Actually guys, I have found the problem. For some strange reason, when
trying to start the script from cywgin, the root password is altered. If I
start the service from the windows control panel under 'services' and change
the log-in properties of the cygwin sshd service, I see that the password is
incorrect. After correcting the password, I am able to successfully start
the service ONLY from the 'service' control panel. I was also able to ssh
into the Windows image from my management node so that indicates the cygwin
sshd service is working correctly.

Thanks again for all your help guys, I will probably be back before you know
it with more questions :)