Oh, follow-up, I didn't even bother checking the machine on vmware before.
So I just did now and when windows 7 tries to boot it goes into start up
repair. When going through the archive I think I remember seeing someone
else with the problem and I think it got resolved?! But I just can't find it
now, if anyone knows which month it's under (if it even exists) just let me
know and I'll be happy to try some more trouble shooting and researching on
my own.