I haven't seen this before but I'm guessing localvmhost hasn't been added to /etc/hosts. Whenever you see 'Name or service not known' it means hostname resolution failed.

If you were trying to follow the "Configuring a Standalone VCL Environment using VMware Server 2.0" then I think I figured out the problem. I had reworked the page and the step to configure /etc/hosts was placed after the "Configure The VM Host To Be Able To SSH To Itself" step. Sorry about that. I changed the order on that page.

-Andy