I'd give up trying to open the console within Firefox 3.6.  It won't
work unless VMware updates VMware Server 2.x.  This thread discusses
it:
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/252218

You can try to downgrade to Firefox 3.5 and see if it works.  You can
also try to run the vmware-vmrc executable directly as described in
this post:
http://communities.vmware.com/message/1717705#1717705

-Andy