From: Aaron Coburn [mailto:acob...@amherst.edu]
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 12:46 PM
To: vcl-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: $_SERVER variables for use in Shibauth

Yanik,
what you describe is correct regarding how eppn is split on the @ character. It
is possible to modify the shibauth/index.php script to use just
$_SERVER['mail']; you will need to make a good number of modifications
throughout the file, though.

But I would really recommend asking the admin of your IdP to release the
appropriate set of attributes to the SP running the VCL. That includes at a
minimum: eppn, affiliation and mail, plus either sn and givenName or
displayName. The IdP admin should be able to set up an AttributeFilterPolicy
specifically for your application so it won't affect which attributes are
released to any other SP.

I would also be cautious about using the mail value in place of eppn -- at our
institution, at least, I cannot rely on any necessary correspondence between
the two (even though in most cases they are equivalent).

Aaron