Ben,

It sounds like your web server might not be executing the php code but just
giving you the php file directly.  If you download the file, does it contain
php code?

As a simpler test, you could create a simple php script with the following in
it:

- ------- don't include this line --------
<?php
print "Hello world";
?>
- ------- don't include this line --------

If you load that page and get only "Hello world", it is processing php
correctly.  If it prompts you to open or download the file, you have a php
processing problem, in which case you'll need to look at the documentation for
your linux distro on setting up php.

Josh

my GPG/PGP key can be found at pgp.mit.edu