I looked through a number of existing top-level ASF project websites, and they
all appear to be serving up static HTML pages. Some of them use a wiki at
http://wiki.apache.org/{project name}; otherwise, the sites appear to be
generated by some sort of script/template combination. If there is a choice, I
would recommend following this model: using static pages as much as possible
will effectively eliminate almost all security and maintenance issues.

Most ASF sites do not have a search feature, and those that do rely on third
parties (e.g. google). It would be easy enough to follow that model, though if
we use Sphinx, it has a built-in (javascript-based) search engine.

There are a lot of template-based options for building sites, and I am
completely unfamiliar with most of them. Velocity is another ASF project, but I
have never worked with it. Several years ago I used Template::Toolkit quite a
bit, which is written in perl. Since so much of the VCL uses perl, this might
be a good option -- not that one actually needs to know perl to use it. It
would also be possible to use an XSLT-based engine, but I XSL syntax can be
very unforgiving. My current favorite is Sphinx, which relies on python to
generate the HTML.

Aaron Coburn