Josh has a good point about not having to apply patches on an individual basis. I take this discussion as a sign of project maturity; people really do care about the project and its utility to their particular needs, and we are starting to hear from "lurkers" like me.

Josh Thompson wrote:

Larry brought up some good points related to "lurking" in the community. By "lurking", I mean using VCL without anyone else in the community knowing it. There are other open source projects where you are really expected to be a lurker for a while until you gain a good understanding of things. Our community is not that like that! If you ask a simple question, no one is going to flame you for being a newbie. Please speak up if you have questions! We're available and happy to promote the progress of VCL. :) If you're using VCL, we'd love to hear from you, especially if you have modified it in some way to meet your needs. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to install the next version of VCL without having to apply your changes again? That can be done if you contribute them back to the project. Also, there may be others who would like the same features you have added, even if it is something simple.

I'm just trying to get more people to become vocal parts of the community.