Many of our images have older versions of VMware Tools installed.  I
don't know of any problems this has caused.  Also, VMware Tools isn't
required.  I only install it to make controlling the VM through the
vSphere console a little easier.

If you do want to upgrade every image automatically, there is a new
feature in partially done in VCL 2.3 which may help:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VCL-564

It essentially allows you to drop scripts and other supporting files
in the appropriate directories on the management node.  The scripts
are automatically run at a particular stage in the reservation.  One
of the intended uses is to allow customizations to be performed
automatically before an image is captured such as installing/upgrading
software.  You would only need to add a couple lines to image.pm to
enable this functionality.  You would save the VMware Tools .msi and a
script which installs it in tools/Windows/Scripts/pre_capture.  During
capture, the files in the directory are automatically copied to the
computer and the script is executed.  Let me know if you want to try
this.

-Andy